What I'm reading now




Most people who know me know that I love to read. My book lists are always growing and I cannot keep up! My favorite genre is non-fiction and I love memoirs and biographies. But I'm never opposed to a riveting novel now and again. I also love books about the social sciences.
Hence, I am very excited to have joined not one but two book clubs recently! One book club was started by a friend of a friend who is looking to meet more people in the Bay Area. It's a great way for us all to meet gals with similar interests and expand our social circle, all while delving into some literary works! The second club is a group of some of my closest friends, and I'm so glad for this monthly excuse to see them all more often! 

1. Alison of Book club #1 assigned Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. I decided to start the book just three days before the meet-up! I spent almost an entire Saturday blowing through the book and I was riveted. It is a historical fiction about a twenty-something girl in New York City in the 1930's and it certainly struck a chord with me as a twenty-something today. I highly recommend diving into this love-triangle full of plot-twists that will keep you flipping pages.

2. Book club #2 was hosted by dear Amanda who chose Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I actually ready Gone Girl months and months ago and absolutely could not put it down. I know its gotten mixed reviews from some as it certainly is a bit disturbing, which it is, but it is also quite fascinating and certainly a page-turner.

3. I recently finished Heads In Beds, having come upon it after reading the New York Times review. For the inside scoop on the hotel industry, pick up this memoir by Jacob Tomsky. His number one piece of advice: Whatever happens, be nice to the front desk agent.

4. In 2004 I spent time in the war-torn country of Bosnia-Herzegovina. My high-school teachers had set up a summer school there to reintegrate youth from the three waring ethnic groups. Having a first hand account of the people and the geography of Bosnia, Barbara Demick's Logavina Street brings back vivid memories. The lengths at which the interviewed residents of Logavina Street go to survive the four-year-long war will astonish you.


Note: This post was written over a year ago but my recommendations still stand! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

« »

Yellow Wellies All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger